Bulging Disc Treatment
At Advanced Care Chiropractic, our Sydney Chiropractor uses spinal decompression methods for bulging disc treatment.
A bulging disc is often described as a “slipped disc”, however discs do not actually slip. The centre ‘jelly-like’ part of the disc may herniate or bulge out from between the bones. Pain results when the bulge pinches a nerve. They are common in the neck or low back, and require bulging disc treatment.
Bulging discs most likely to affect people between the ages of 30 and 40. They may cause pain, weakness,or pins and needles. In severe cases of a low back disc bulge, you may experience changes in your bowel or bladder function and may have difficulty with sexual function.
Disc Bulge Causes
Many factors life style choices such as smoking, lack of regular exercise and trauma contribute to poor disc health. Poor posture and incorrect lifting place further stress on discs.
Treatment May Involve
A mild to moderate disc bulge can usually be treated conservatively. Bulging disc treatment may involve :
- stretching and strengthening
- Chiropractic mobilisations
- spinal decompression using a specialised treatment table
- modifying exercise techniques
- posture correction
- soft tissue massage and friction therapy
- anti-inflammatory advice
- exercises to improve strength, flexibility or balance
- bio-mechanical correction of spinal and pelvic joints
- prescription of custom orthotics and footwear advice
More advanced cases may require a cortisone injection or some form of surgical spinal decompression These cases are usually reserved as a last resort when other forms of therapy have failed to relieve pain.